John Hiscox’s DH 27
61 2 99841169
The DH model was commissioned in 1950 by Daimler Hire who required 50 limousines for their fleet. Hooper & Co. was the preferred coachbuilder, delivering all 50 vehicles during 1951 and 1952. Being a hire car, a luggage rack was incorporated in a 3/4 inch recess in the roof. There were no drain holes for rain water as it was considered that braking and cornering would get rid of most of this. (wishful thinking)
This particular car is number 49, but was taken out of service for Vickers Ltd, who removed the luggage rack, and was subsequently bought by Lord Rowallan when he became governor of Tasmania in 1961. The colour was originally black over navy blue, but was repainted in the royal colours of black over claret. St. Edwards crowns were painted on the rear doors and a blue police light added – none of which have been removed. With occasional seats it accommodates 8 persons comfortably.
After Lord Rowallan’s term ended in 1964 the car remained in Tasmania until bought by the present owner in 1982. Since then the interior has been extensively refurbished and a major engine rebuild completed in 2001. Being a Club car, it is regularly used and has covered 31,000 miles between these dates.